21 July, 2011

Cannot Load Youtube.com; Waiting for s.ytimg.com

It made me crazy. I have not able to get onto youtube since yesterday. When i try to get onto youtube.com, it stops loading and just sits at "Waiting for s.ytimg.com". I have tried all the different internet browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) but it didn't help.

I researched about s.ytimg.com and I found out that YouTube hosts most of its images to it and if you're not getting a connection to it, it's most likely to be a problem on YouTube's side.

I have searched in Google to find the solution and I've noticed that a few other people have been having the same problem and able to fix it by the following solution.
  1. Click Start> run
  2. Type C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
  3. Find the host file and double click to open it. If it doesn't open directly and you will be prompted to "open with". Choose Notepad or WordPad to open it.
  4. Add the following line at the bottom of the host file,74.125.162.39 static.cache.l.google.com s.ytimg.com and re-save the file.
  5. If you already have this line and youtube does not load in your browser, change that line into #74.125.162.39 static.cache.l.google.com s.ytimg.com and re-save the file then try to check the youtube.
  6. In windows 7 / Vista, it is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
In my case, this solution does not help me get onto youtube. I've tried this many times but it doesn't help. I've also tried several recommended fixes - clear cookies, update adobe flash player, check firewall, restart modem but nothing works, the s.ytimg.com problem was still there.

But finally after an hour of determined attempt, I solved this problem by this simple solution.
  • Since I am using using a firewall server, (pfsense)I use another free public DNS instead of my ISP's DNS. I changed the DNS server into comodo secure DNS and restart the server. Click here for more free DNS server
  • If you do not have a server, I suggest that you unplug your cable modem, router, switch, etc. and plug back in after a short time.
  • Then delete/clear the cookies in your browser.
This problem is due to s.ytimg which is accidentally blocked by the server. If this solution does help the s.ytimg.com problem, please leave a comment on this page.

2 comments :

  1. I dont know why but your solution (1st option) help me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first method, " Click Start> run
    Type C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    Find the host file and double click to open it. If it doesn't open directly and you will be prompted to "open with". Choose Notepad or WordPad to open it.
    Add the following line at the bottom of the host file,74.125.162.39 static.cache.l.google.com s.ytimg.com and re-save the file.
    If you already have this line and youtube does not load in your browser, change that line into #74.125.162.39 static.cache.l.google.com s.ytimg.com and re-save the file then try to check the youtube." Worked for me like a charm. Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete