17 August, 2011

Computer Shuts Down While Installing XP

I have a laptop that came with vista home premium.  I wanted to change the OS into XP professional but the problem is it shut down  before finishing loading the drives into its hard drive. I tried formatting the hard drive using Hirens software, check the compatibility settings in bios set-up, and using external DVD instead of its own DVD drive but it didn't help me fix the problem.

After an almost hour of troubleshooting and research, I've found this solution at Toms Hardware Forum.
  • Leave the laptop rest for about 1 hour
  • Unplug the battery, run only on external power supply
  • Without opening it, used a compressed air to clean the air filters.
  • Placed it in a cold environment (Put it directly in stone floor, and placed a normal fan next to it)
  • Turn off the auto-shut off overheat system in BIOS 
  • Inserted the WinXP CD in and pray for the best.
In my case I did not follow all the procedures. I did not let my laptop rest for 1 hour, clean the air filter, place it in cold environment and turn off the auto-shut down settings in bios. What I did is just unplugged the battery, run on external power supply and install the windows XP. It worked, so I hope this tips help you.

2 comments :

  1. Thanks it helps! I think it is not necessary for the PC to rest for one hour. I did it in just for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unpluggeded the CMOS battery?

    ReplyDelete