22 July, 2011

Unable to boot XP; Stop in ISAPNP.SYS When Boot in Safe Mode

I have this problem some time ago, I cannot boot on windows. The system suddenly stop responding just before it can load the windows and leave nothing but a black screen. I tried it loading in safe mode but it hangs after isapnp.sys. 

Here is the solutions to fix this problem. 

Problem: The machine has suddenly decided to stop booting. I tried using F8 for some booting option but the options were of no avail. I tried booting from safe mode, but it hangs after isapnp.sys. I also tried booting from CD to get to the recovery console but I don't know the admin password. 
Solutions:
If you can access the recovery console, follow these steps: 
  1. Prepare your windows CD and boot with XP setup, load up the recovery console.
  2. When you are in the recovery console, just type "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" to go to the location of isapnp.sys.
  3. When you are there, type "Dir" to see the available files in the current directories.
  4. Check, if there any *.sys file with 0 length and just delete it.
    In my case, because I cannot access the recovery console, I did the following steps:
    1. Remove the hard disk and put it in the other working system as slave. (Be sure to turn off the system before removing and installing any hardware).
    2. After slaving the hard disk, in run command type "cmd" to do the same procedure as mentioned above.
    3. In command window just go to drive D: just by typing "D:"
    4. Type "cd windows\system32\drivers".
    5. Type "Dir" to see the available files in the current directories.
    6. Check, if there any *.sys file with 0 length and just delete it.
    Let me know if that's work, Please leave a comment if this solution does not help to fix the isapnp.sys problem.

    0 comments :

    Post a Comment